- Main challenges
Maersk Line is the world’s largest container shipping operator and part of the A.P. Møller Group. The Maersk Line Management team established a project to re-define the strategy for digital customer services.
As a leader in the global market for container shipping, Maersk Line is constantly seeking new ways to develop market opportunities by adapting change to business models and operations. Dedication to fulfilment of customers' needs and market demands is critical to the organisation. A core element in its continuous development is the use of technology as a driver for and an enabler of change.
The project is a strategic initiative sponsored by the Maersk Line Management Board, with the purpose to deliver change to business fundamentals (processes, operations or strategies). The project was established with the following principal objectives:
- Support the business strategy of providing end customers “ease of business” by delivering new customer-centric eBusiness applications
- Build the future IT platform with the focus on Service Oriented Architecture and enterprise components
- Test a new delivery model for IT projects, with a focus on in-sourcing of capabilities and management
- Deliver an IT project, using agile development as a framework
- What did we solve?
In 2011, the project delivered the first release of a new website, MaerskLine.com, based on the above objectives. In addition, Maersk Line enjoys a whole new capability in customer interaction, an important step to support Maersk Line’s vision of becoming the undisputed leader of the industry. Moreover, the project adds value to the company's brand and sets new standards for IT utilisation among its competitors and peers.
Devoteam has played a critical role throughout the project, from initial planning to delivery, and has established a strong and lasting presence. Activities included IT project management, master data management, process optimisation (including core processes for support and maintenance), stakeholder and vendor management, as well as advice on IT leadership.
- What are the main benefits for the customer?
“Devoteam has a unique ability to understand and work with our business culture. They understand our key challenges, technology focus and drivers for changes, key elements in providing value to our business and end customers.”
Thomas Okke Frahm, Maersk Line Director
According to Maersk Line Director, "The project vision has been to re-think and develop our approach to customer applications and technology usage. We have succeeded – and on this journey encountered complex challenges both from an IT and management perspective. We specifically measured improvements with regard to:
- Customer satisfaction and Net Promoter Score
- The digital booking process and eBookings increase
- Reduction of customer claims and disputes"